Friday, February 8, 2008

Lipstick Jungle



Lipstick Jungle premiered last night and I give it an ok rating. I wasn't blown away (probably because I felt like I had already seen it through the previews) but I wasn't turned off either. I think the writers have an opportunity to give their audience a chance to feel connected to each of these women, but again I have to comment on the complaining about "why women always have to make excuses for their success and power in the workplace and at home, blah, blah blah." Old news.

I also have to comment on the speech one of the girls' bosses gave her about having babies. Basically she is told that she isn't going to be promoted because she had made a comment at a baby shower to her boss's wife about having babies- and the last woman he promoted got pregnant and quit. I also think this is very 80's. This may occur in some backward places in society today, but I think most, if not all, companies have embraced (or at least accepted) the fact that women can be successful and mothers- without repercussion. So, I thought this would have been an important topic twenty years ago, but now it's again, old news. Any woman would hear this and say, "whatever- I'll go work for the company next door that will gladly accept me as a female interested (or not) in having children."

I thought the characters spent too much time outlining each other's personalities, "Oh, Kim (whatever her name is) you're the emotional one of the group or you're the single one of the group." Whatever. Let us watch the show and figure it out for ourselves.

Ok, so now that I've got that off my chest I think I could probably watch next week and maybe enjoy it as long as the writers stop trying to set the show up and just start writing like it's the middle of season four- let us figure things out for ourselves, let the characters be proud that they're as successful as they are (without complaint) and let the show run its course. Develop the characters into more than power women and lets see who they really are- and then we'll pay attention.


Ok, I'm done.

No comments: